Sitecore 9 on Windows 8.1, my experience

There are a couple of articles about Sitecore 9 on a Windows 8.1 development machine, and since it’s bit out of hand for me to upgrade to Windows 10 I’ve decided to take the bull by the horns and finally do it. Even that I’ve lost a bet with @SitecoreClimber that will manage to install Sitecore 9 to my Windows 8.1 in fist-second week of the launch without any troubles.

Windows 8.1 does not have Powershell 5.1 as its needed by SIF, so you can install it from here, as Windows Management Framework 5.1 includes also Powershell 5.1. An alternative way it to use this command choco install powershell if you are using Chocolatey.

After a restart of the machine it’s time to install Sitecore Install Framework and Sitecore Fundamentals. So in a Windows Powershell opened as Administrator execute this:

Register-PSRepository -Name SitecoreGallery -SourceLocation https://sitecore.myget.org/F/sc-powershell/api/v2
Install-Module SitecoreInstallFramework
Update-Module SitecoreInstallFramework

Run the following command in Windows Powershell to validate the modules installed:

Get-Module SitecoreInstallFramework –ListAvailable

After this you can continue with the installation of SOLR. The script that Jeremy Davis made in his blog post it’s not going to work as New-SelfSignedCertificate has different parameters in Windows 8.1, so you could use my adjusted script.

After Solr its installed and up and running make sure than all the other prerequisites are meet:

  1. Sitecore License must have xDB enabled
  2. MS SQL Server 2016 SP1 or later
  3. MS SQL Management Studio
  4. .Net Framework 4.6.2 or later
  5. Web Deploy 3.6
  6. Java Runtime Environment
  7. Packages for XP Single (On Premises deployment)
  8. Microsoft SQL Server Data-Tier Application Framework (DAC Fx) (install both DacFramework.msi for x64 and x86)
  9. Microsoft SQL Server TransactSQLScriptDom (install both SqlDom.msi for x64 and x86)
  10. Extra step (added by me): Microsoft Shared Management Objects for SQL Server 2016 (install both SharedManagementObjects.msi for x64 and x86) since I do not have on my dev machine MS SQL Server 2016 SP1 or later or MS SQL Management Studio

Then make sure that you follow the changes to the scripts that Fabian is presenting here.

In short the changes are:

  1. Create a self-signed certificate in Windows 8.1
  2. Change xconnect-createcert.json
  3. Change the official installation script

Extra notes:

Note 1:

  • Make sure that the script New-SignedCertificateWindows81.ps1 is located in same place as the installation script so that can be picked up
  • Make sure that JRE bin folder does exist in the PATH Environment Variable, otherwise New-SignedCertificateWindows81.ps1 will not work.

In case you already have a SSL certificate in your machine then the changes that Fabian is presenting are not needed as you should use this article for installing your solution Sitecore 9 installation with existing SSL that I’ve wrote last week.

Note 2: The steps #8, #9 and #10 from the prerequisites should be installed in all situations when you install Sitecore 9 and you do not have on your web server MS SQL Server 2016 SP1 or later or MS SQL Management Studio

Note 3: On my way to install Sitecore 9 when I’ve installed only x64 version of add-ons from prerequisites ( steps #8, #9 and #10) and apparently was not enough as I was getting bunch of errors, so I had to install x86 versions too.

Advertisements

One Reply to “Sitecore 9 on Windows 8.1, my experience”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s